Continuous Improvement Manager
Reporting Structure: The Continuous Improvement Continuous Improvement Manager will report to the Sr. Director of Operations of HandyTube. The Sr. Director of Operations reports to the President of HandyTube.
Performance Profile: The Continuous Improvement Manager is a key organizational leader entrusted with leading, driving, and growing the company’s profitability through continuous improvement and transformation of the organizations key business processes. They will act with high levels of employee engagement utilizing 80/20 Thinking, Lean Principles, Strategy Deployment, and other proven methods to develop robust processes, enable sustainable growth, and facilitate the capabilities of our associates. Success in this role will tie to direct and indirect savings and key KPI’s that align with the overall business’ goals.
Essential Responsibilities Include:
- Work across organization to identify areas for improvement and simplification
- Collect qualitative and quantitative research and data and conduct complex root-cause analysis to support direction of projects
- Establish key KPI’s and benchmarks to track progress and savings
- Understand cause and effect of actions to be taken and impact on organization
- Engage and influence organizational direction with HandyTube business leaders via Strategic Planning and Deployment processes, regularly participating in accountability reviews and assisting in achieving objectives and supporting countermeasures.
- Using 80/20 Thinking to identify, outline, and lead the highest impacting projects
- Work with leadership and cross-functional teams to create Value Stream Maps and Kaizen Roadmaps to drive Lean thinking for Strategic Initiatives and other opportunities. Maintain visibility and support accountability for these tools.
- Work to improve and better serve the customer, prioritize, and coordinate Kaizens, facilitate or mentor other facilitators, ensuring measurable impact, visibility and storytelling of progress, and accountability to action plans. As an expert and mentor for the appropriate tools, these should include the diagnosis and removal of impediments to Flow and other wastes through the business.
- Drive cultural and process change throughout the greater enterprise, including office and field transactional processes as well as suppliers and customers.
- Facilitate, orchestrate, and work with Leadership/Engineering/Finance to approve major Capital Expenditure projects utilizing 3P methods and decision-making. Advocate and influence Lean thinking for process, product, and design manufacturability in New Product Development processes.
- Champion Lean Management Systems at all levels of the organization including increasingly robust employee engagement and GEMBA processes including problem escalation and process accountability.
- Develop and champion lean training, application, and knowledge enhancing programs from associate basics through executive leadership. This training and Gemba mentoring include lean tools inclusive but not limited to Value Stream Mapping, Standard Work, Visual Management, Identification of Waste, Daily Management / Gemba, Single-Minute-Exchange-of-Dies, Kanban, Total Productive Maintenance, etc.
- Strive to Understand, Simplify, and automate (USa) all aspects of projects
The Performance Profile
The Continuous Improvement Manager contributes to the overall success of HandyTube’s strategy and cultural evolution. This key position will utilize expertise in 80/20 principles, continuous improvement methodologies such as Lean and Six Sigma to lead HandyTube teams to eliminate waste, reduce cost, better serve customers, and grow top and bottom lines. The Continuous Improvement Manager must be innovative and additionally strive to reduce safety hazards, enhance quality, ensure on-time delivery, and reduce the cost and lead time of manufacturing and other business processes. The role requires facilitation of Kaizens and teach teams using the application of other continuous improvement tools. The position requires strong communication, organization, data collection and analysis, project and time management, and problem-solving skills. This position provides thought leadership, strategic direction, and tactical implementation leadership across HandyTube. This role will be instrumental in the development of a continuous improvement mindset and cultivating capabilities and capacity of others.
The candidate will present superior collaboration and communication skills, conflict management capabilities and strong executive presence/composure. He/she will demonstrate a strong process orientation and a track record of successfully improving an enterprise’s functions for effectiveness.
Additional traits and competencies that define the successful candidate are:
- Leadership and personal impact
- Highly driven and influential
- Proven track record of results
- Evidence of leading large teams, rooted in a combination of a compelling vision and consistent execution.
- Thought leader driving organizational and business transformation aligned with enterprise strategies.
- Culture fit
- Entrepreneurial spirit – creative mindset, ownership attitude, collaborative management style and informed risk-taking.
- Thrives on challenge
- Superb judgment and ability to critically think through issues and problem solve complex issues
- Demonstrated ability to rapidly build strong relationships and collaborate effectively internally and externally.
- Passion for the industry, our products, and achieving strong results.
- Hands on Leader that is a great coach
- Personal commitment to an inclusive work environment and a diverse team.
Ultimately, the successful candidate will bring a dynamic combination of experiences with the interpersonal and communications skills that afford him/her superior credibility and leadership. He/she will work across many peers and indirect subordinates across the organization, while engaged in a hands-on, proactive, creative, and disciplined manner. The candidate must demonstrate upside growth potential and aspire to increasingly responsible roles, potentially to senior sales or general business management over time.
- BS or BA Degree in Engineering or Business, or equivalent business transformation, high impact experience
- Experience with 80/20 Principles and track record in transferring actions to drive business results
- 5+ years’ experience implementing lean or continuous improvement programs with demonstrated success through waste elimination, process improvement, and cost reduction
- Manufacturing or Operations experience required
- Strong knowledge and experience implementing specific lean / Toyota Production System tools
- Strong facilitation, communication, organizational, analytical, and mathematical skills
- Self-starter / action bias with desire and willingness to institute change and help others through change
- Capable of overcoming obstacles and completing assignments in a timely manner
- Positive attitude, good judgment, a strong sense of responsibility and ownership
- Willingness to work both strategically and tactically by being hands on in managing, leading, driving, finishing, following up projects.
- Superior training skills and experience with adult learning theory
- Superior mentoring, coaching, and influencing skills
- Ability to motivate individuals/teams to perform at high levels to meet/exceed goals
- Familiarity with various commercial processes and tools (i.e., order processing, distribution management, ERP)
Specifically, he/she should meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrated proficiency in time and project management
- Strong data collection and analysis skills
- PC skills including experience with MS Office Suite
HandyTube will offer a highly attractive compensation package that will include base salary, performance-based bonus, 401k and additional perks and benefits.
Steel Partners Holdings L.P. (NYSE: SPLP; www.steelpartners.com) is a publicly traded diversified global holding company that has significant interests in leading companies in various industries including diversified industrial products, energy, defense, banking, insurance, food products and services, oilfield services, sports, training, education, and the entertainment and lifestyle industries.
As long-term investors, Steel Partners has focused on enhancing value through the implementation of operational excellence, corporate strategic restructuring programs and other components of the Steel Partners culture - what we call “The Steel Way.” Together, Steel Partners businesses generate $3.4 billion in revenue and employ more than 13,000 people in 18 countries.
To find out more about the company, please visit www.SteelPartners.com.
HandyTube Corporation is a seamless specialty tubing manufacturer based in Camden, Delaware. As a premium manufacturer, HandyTube provides customer-specific solutions for the flow of gas, steam, and liquids in the most harsh and demanding environments. The Company’s process allows it to produce made-to-order, seamless, stainless steel and specialty alloy tubing ranging from one inch in diameter to finer than a human hair, and in continuous lengths that can exceed a mile. Dedicated to high-quality service and products. HandyTube’s highly experienced engineers provide expertise on new product development through continuous improvement and lean manufacturing and work successfully with customers globally to take products and projects from initial concept to full scale implementation.
Customers rely on the Company’s team of engineers to refine ideas, explore options, create new solutions, analyze values, and deliver on commitments.
To find out more about HandyTube, please visit www.handytube.com.